Kids who have mastered the skill level given in Scratch 1
After this course you should be able to:
Scratch is a fun, free, beginner-friendly programming environment where you connect blocks of code to build programs. While most famously used to introduce kids to programming, Scratch can make computer science approachable for people of any age. Rather than type countless lines of code in a cryptic programming language, why not use colorful command blocks and cartoon sprites to create powerful scripts? After this course you should be ready to move into more mainstream programming like Python.
Please bring your own laptop.
Kids3 : Python for Kids
- Getting started with an Overview
- Scratch Remember
- Programming Environment
- Motion and drawing
- Using Motion Commands
- Pen commands and Easy Draw
- The power of repeat
- Looks and sound
- The Looks Palette
- The Sound Palette
- Message Broadcasting and receiving
- Creating Large programm in small steps
- Data types in Scratch
- Introduction to Variables
- Displaying variables monitors
- Making decisions
- Comparison operators
- Decision structures
- Logical Operators
- Repetition: a deeper exploration of loops
- More Loop Blocks in Scratch
- Stop commands
- String processing
- Revisiting the String Data Type
- String Manipulation examples
- Lists in Scratch
- Dynamic Lists
- Numerical lists
Duration and pricing
- Full-time over 5 days (R9995)
- Part-time over 4 weeks (2 nights per week, 3 hour sessions) (R11995)
- Part-time over 8 Saturdays, 3 hour sessions (R11995)
- Please note : For part-time courses we do not have a fixed schedule and you will be placed on a waiting list until we get a group of 4+ together. Please book with no dates on the bookings form. This will automatically put you on the waiting list. We will confirm with you as soon as we have a part-time group together.
- Distance-learning over up to 3 months (R9995)
- Prices exclude Vat for Vat-registered companies
- Upon completion of this course we will issue you with attendance certificate to certify your attendance and / or completion of the prescribed minimum examples.
- You may sit for our competency assessment test and on passing you will obtain our competency certificate.
- Our competency assessment can be booked and taken by someone who has not attended the course at a cost of R950.
We are normally scheduling the full-time kids courses during school holidays. If you are interested, please send us an email with your school holiday dates, so that we can try and get a group together as there are different holiday dates for private and public schools. Click here to send the email.
We are trying to get groups together for the part-time kids courses between 4 and 6 in the evenings or Saturdays. If you are interested, please send us an email with your possible times, so that we can try and get a group together as we need to have a minimum number to be able to start a course. Click here to send the email.
You may download a pdf copy of this page by clicking on the pdf icon at the top of the page.
Please email us