- This course is for database developers and administrators at beginner level.
- Some familiarity with relational databases and basic SQL might be helpful.
- Some programming experience might be helpful.
After this course you should
- Know basic SQL syntax
- Know SQL database design concepts
- Know Advanced querying
- Know how to do hard core database manipulation with Subqueries, Joins and Transactions
- Understand effective and efficient database design and creation
- Be able to query, normalize and join data
- Be ready to prepare for the MTA DBA Fundamentals Exam 98-364
- Course material included.
| Day 1:
- Data and Tables – a place for everything
- Data in categories
- What’s in a Database
- CREATE TABLE Statement
- Data types
- INSERT Statement
- NULL, NOT NULL
- The SELECT Statement – gifted data retrieval
- How to query data types
- Comparison Operators
- AND, OR, LIKE, BETWEEN, IN, NOT IN
- Advanced SELECT – Seeing your data with new eyes
- CASE expression
- ORDER BY
- SUM, MIN, MAX, AVG, GROUP BY
- COUNT, LIMIT
- Multi-table Database Design – Outgrowing your table
- How to go from one table to two
- Create a table with a Foreign Key
- Relationships between tables
- Patterns of data
- Junction table
- Partial functional dependency
- Transitive functional dependency
- Constraints, Views and Transactions
- CHECK CONSTRAINT
- Creating a view
- Inserting, updating and deleting with views
- View with CHECK OPTION
- The ACID Test
- Security – protecting your assets
- GRANT statement
- GRANT variations
- REVOKE privileges
- REVOKING a used GRANT OPTION
- MTA-Exam 98-364 Review Prep
| Day 2:
- DELETE and UPDATE – a change will do you good
- Smart table design – why be normal?
- Atomic data
- Primary Key
- ALTER – Rewriting the past
- Renaming the table
- DROP column
- UPDATE, SET
- JOINS and multi table operations
- CREATE, SELECT, INSERT at the same time
- AS, column aliases
- Inner JOINS
- Subqueries – Queries within queries
- Natural Join
- Noncorrelated subqueries
- Correlated subqueries
- EXISTS and NOT EXISTS
- OUTER JOINS, SELF JOINS and UNIONS
- Left and right outer join
- A self-referencing foreign key
- INTERSECT and EXCEPT
- Turning a subquery into a join
Duration and pricing
- Full-time over 5 days (R8995 excl VAT)
- Part-time over 4 weeks (2 nights per week, 3 hour sessions) (R10995 excl Vat)
- Part-time over 8 Saturdays, 3 hour sessions (R10995 excl Vat)
- Distance-learning over up to 3 months (R7995 excl Vat)
- Excluding MTA MS exam, including SQL assessment for competency certificate .
- Upon completion of this course we will issue you with attendance certificate to certify your attendance and / or completion of the prescribed minimum examples.
- You will also get the competency certificate if you pass the Beginning SQL assessment on the last day of the course
- External students that did not attend the course, may write the assessment at a cost of R950.
Schedule for Johannesburg (Jhb) and Cape Town (CT)
On the calender on this page below.
If your browser doesn’t display the calendar below, please click on this link or try using Google Chrome, alternatively please enquire via our ‘Contact Us’ page.
You can download the course registration form on our home page or by clicking here
You may download a pdf copy of this page by clicking here.
Please email us