You should be at the level of Introduction to Programming or Excel VBA before starting this course.
HTML knowledge will be handy, but not required as we focus on the back-end in this course.
This course is for web designers probably with HTML or XHTML who want to take their web pages to the next level.
After this course you should be able to
- Use PHP to transform static HTML pages into dynamic web sites
- Use email from your web server
- Creating feedback forms
- Create and populate your own MySQL database tables, and work with data stored in files
- Perform sophisticated MySQL queries with joins, and refining your results
- Uploading images
- Protect your data from SQL injection attacks
- Secure your pages with HTTP Authentication
- Build a basic functional PHP website with management and user functionality that could be useful to a small business with basic requirements
The next course in the series is Advanced PHP .
We give you an original copy of the book: Head First PHP & MySQL (by O’Reilly Press) as we use this mainly,
but we also give additional examples where it falls short.
Practical project for competency certificate :
Create a website with 2 tables:
Product table (id, date, description, price, picture)
Members table (id, name, surname, email-address, description)
and pages for:
to join the site
to view the product list (will be expanded in the Advanced Course to add a shopping cart)
Pages and tables should be designed to be secure
from SQL injections by hackers
display the product list and add / remove and change products
moderate new customer applications, delete customers
the management pages must be protected with http authentication
send an email newsletter to members
Ensure that you use self-referencing forms that remember fields
Duration and pricing
- Full-time over 5 days (R7995 excl VAT)
- Part-time over 4 weeks (2 nights per week, 3 hour sessions) (R9995 excl Vat)
- Part-time over 8 Saturdays, 3 hour sessions (R9995 excl Vat)
- Distance-learning over up to 3 months (R6995 excl Vat)
- Upon completion of this course you will receive an attendance certificate to certify your attendance and / or completion of the prescribed minimum examples.
- You have the option to get the competency / academic certificate if you hand in a project (pre-approved) covering most of the topics in the book, within 3 months
- The project is useful for unemployed students who want to enter the job market. This project and certificate can be used to show employers your abilities.
On the calender on this page below. This course is repeated approximately once every 6 weeks, unless a customised specific booking is requested via email.
If your browser doesn’t display the calendar below, please click on this link or try using Google Chrome, alternatively please enquire via our ‘Contact Us’ page.
You can download the course registration form on our home page or by clicking here
You may download a pdf copy of this page by clicking here.
Please email us